Tuesday, April 3, 2012

“MoMA PS1: The Good, the Bad, and the Misunderstood''

On our second field trip we went to MOMA PS1. Where we were suppose to look for three pieces of art. One we liked one we didn’t like and one we didn’t understand. Many of that artwork that was on exhibition on MOMA PS1 I hardly understood the meaning of them.


An art that I didn’t understand was from the artist Henry Taylor. In his artwork that he called ‘’Jungle’’ he tries to express his idea using several components which confuse me. He used an endless amount of stuff in his artwork that totally confuse me and don’t tell me the exact meaning of the art. I really like this work I found it very interesting but in the same time confusing. But I really liked the idea idea of putting all this elements together and make it interesting for the audience is an art that caught your attention. I would really like to know the meaning of this work.

However, an art that I really enjoyed was from Henry Taylor a portray of  Huey Newton. I found it very interesting because in this portray he tell us a story. Huey Newton was a former lawyer in San Francisco. He joined the forces to establish the ‘’Black Panther Party for Self-defense’’. He coordinated protest against violence to African-Americans. What I appreciate about this artwork is that his fighting for equality and I found it very interesting because racism is still and always will be a worldwide problem that we should fight against it. And in his artwork everyone can feel connected because racism happens every day and everywhere.

Moreover, an art that I didn’t liked was by Carmine Boccuzzi and Bernard Lumpkin called ‘’Rock It ‘’ I didn’t like it because it has too many elements and I didn’t feel connected with it. What turns me off is the idea of this artwork of the mannequin head on top of those boxes.

This trip to these museum make me understood that not all the art you see wont give you the message right away some of them you have to sit and try to found out what they trying to portray on those artwork. Because all of them have their own meaning but not all of us will capture it.



Henry Taylor
                                                               ''Jungle''

Huey Newton
                                                         ''Untitled''
                                                 2007

Henry Taylor
                                                               ''Rock It''
                                            Collection Carmine Boccuzzi and Bernard Lumpkin
                                                        2008

No comments:

Post a Comment